Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Hero – Episode Review (Zig and Drew)

I just got back from a road-trip all over the US (from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon), and it was awesome, but as I was being all campy, I was also wondering what I missed on Degrassi lol. So I watched “My Hero” almost as soon as I got home/back online, and was not disappointed. 

First of all (I’m doing this in order of least to most exciting this time), Zig’s plotline wasn’t all about watching paint dry, or watching someone watch paint dry, or chopping onions, or watching someone chop onions. W00t w00t! It was a significant improvement over last week. I mean, at least he actually had some gang drama and family drama. I would still care a lot more about it, though, if up until this point Zig hadn’t been characterized primarily as Maya’s sidekick and second-rate love interest. I mean, we only just now heard why Zig was kicked out of his home *we never even got to see how it unfolded* and now all of a sudden I am supposed to be deeply invested in Zig reconnecting with his mom? Meh. I felt like the “I’m a bad boy, I was kicked out” thing was mostly an excuse for Zig to go live with Maya and create conflict between her and Miles. I always wanted it to be developed more and wanted to learn more about it, but I feel like this was just done haphazardly. 

Anyway, it was still interesting to see Zig talking to his mom. Maybe this means he’ll finally MOVE OUT of Maya’s house, which would be great because the living arrangements are just extremely annoying. When Maya first invited Zig to move in, I thought it would force Miles to put his foot down and would cause Maya to have to choose once and for all who she wanted to be with. But Maya’s ability to be forever wishy-washy is infuriating, and I just need the quasi-romance with Zig to happen (which it’s clearly not), or to be very obviously over, so please, get his butt out of that house. Also, this means that Zig might start to have some plotlines that aren’t solely centered around Maya, and that’s a good thing. It was maybe a bit sloppily done, but we had to take the plunge at some point.


BTW, who do you think pulls off the bad-boy-in-a-leather-jacket thing better: Zig, Drew in his Bianca days, or Craig Manning? I’m having a pretty good time watching and getting to know Zig, but, like I said, I feel like I don’t really know him yet as his own person. So I’m going to go with Craig. Actually, who am I kidding. The answer is Craig, hands down, no matter who you ask me to compare or how well I know the competition. Sorry, other boys.


Speaking of Drew, though, his story was getting really juicy this week! I was really excited for Drew to publish some article in the newspaper about Mr. H’s affair and about how he faced sexual abuse in the workplace (which he did, because Mrs. H. made unwanted sexual advances while Drew was on the job) and then how he was fired for facing said sexual abuse. I was actually really looking forward to this dirt on the Hollingsworth family finally coming out so that Mrs. H. can stop being a doting media wife and can get her divorce, and I was excited for the story to then be sold to tabloids like People and US Weekly, and for Drew to then get a million job offers from top politicians because of the publicity. That would have been SCHWEET. Mr. H. deserves some bad publicity too. “My daughter saw you hugging my wife – that was very confusing for her.” What an idiot. And you don’t think it’s confusing for Frankie for her daddy to be having an affair? He does a lot more than hug people.

But, I guess this is fine too. We had the satisfaction of Drew throwing Mr. H. into the pool. And at least Drew didn’t actually blackmail Mr. H, because that could have lead to some bad things. I never heard Drew say anything directly bad, like “If you don’t write me a fat check I’ll release this info to the media.” He just wanted a good recommendation and access to some contacts, which he was legitimately entitled to. I feel like if he tried the blackmail route, Mr. H. would have had him arrested right there lol. I don’t know if that’s legal or not. Then again, I also don’t know if it’s legal for the police officer who lives across the street from me to block the public street parking outside of his house with cones and then threaten to give a criminal record to anyone who wants to park in “his” spot, but it happens. Anyway, threats of arrest aside, this was the best thing Drew could have done for his own future. I’m also glad he didn’t just sit back and let his life suck. I’m so proud of him, lol, I feel like his mom. I thought it was a little unnecessary for Drew to apologize to everyone in his life though. Like, what, being wrongfully fired gave Drew some big revelation that he was a jerk when he GAVE CLARE SOME TIME before dating her or when he told Dallas that he wants to freaking go to college? I’m sorry, but Dallas was acting like a sensitive little brat girl. But whatever, I guess it’s better to be humble and apologetic rather than to burn bridges, and it was pretty smart of Drew to support that Double D business, given his lack of other opportunities. And, plus, now Drew gets Dallas’ d back in his life, so there you go. WHAT!! Haha. You’re dirty, Degrassi.

No comments:

Post a Comment