Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sparks Will Fly Part 2 – Episode Review, Part 2

Time for Part 2 of my review! I still need to talk about what went down between Miles and Zig at the wild wild west dance, and also give my two cents on Clare and Drew. So this gave me a really good excuse to re-watch the episode this morning and refresh my memory :)

Anyway, I was really surprised at how quickly things moved between Clare and Drew! I’m not talking about how quickly the romance developed either, because I honestly do think they’ve had a lot of time to get to know each other throughout the year, and it’s definitely taken a few episodes for them to get to the actually-being-single-and-asking-each-other-out point. What I’m talking about is how quickly they went from the cute beginnings of a relationship, to having sex in the prop closet (are there any male chauvinists who want to give Drew props for that? lol), to being broken up. I guess I could have seen this coming, because Drew really likes to start a relationship by having sex in various closets at schools or in other people’s houses. This essentially is his way of asking a girl out. Also, Clare was really vulnerable right then, so it makes sense she would do something impulsive.

HOWEVER, hasn’t Drew learned that sex in a closet is NOT the best way to start things off with a girl? It made some sense that he hooked up with Bianca in the boiler room, because they were both “bad kids” back then. Actually Bianca was rotten and was essentially a prostitute. I love the way Bianca turned out but not the way she started off. But that’s beside the point. Since then, Drew has evolved from his “bad boy” days and no longer (accidentally) murders thugs in the street. I expect more from him. I was even understanding of his fling with Zoe, though, because sometimes people relapse into idiots. Also he didn’t care about Zoe, so he considered it to be more or less of a rebound-fling. He tricked himself into treating her like a sex object rather than a person, but he ended up truly regretting it when he saw what it did to Zoe’s emotions, and also when he saw how much drama it created in his own life and career.

So, despite the questionable decisions that Drew has made in the past, I really wasn’t expecting it to happen like:
Clare – “Drew! I broke up with Eli! Oh and hi, welcome to the dance.”
Drew – *Giving her a mischievous and very pleased looking half-smile* “OMG that’s hot. Let’s go be alone in a closet.”
Clare – “OMG yes. Be gone, Alli-wench.”
*They proceed into a little dark room and begin taking off their clothes.*
Yeah, considering this is how it DID happen, I would agree that Clare was rebounding and that it wasn’t the best time to start a relationship. But, to me, it seemed out-of-character and unrealistic. Couldn’t Drew have just like, I don’t know, grabbed Clare’s hand and asked her to do-si-do? Rather than having his own private “hoe down,” if you know what I mean? Gosh, the wild wild west puns in these past couple episodes have just been too much to handle. Especially with those bull jokes in Sparks Will Fly Part 1.

(Side-note): I thought it was nice that Eli came back for this episode. As much as I supported Clare on her voicemail break-up (and agree with Clare that Eli is lame for needing something as attention-getting as being dumped in order to go see her in person), I also realized as Clare and Drew were kissing that a major character like Eli deserves to have a proper farewell off the show. I wish he could be in the graduation ceremony, since that’s how most major character’s leave, and don’t really understand how he got into college early or whatever. I must have missed something. But either way, he deserved to have a final hoorah, rather than to just sort of trickle away. It’s sad that the final hoorah is really not much of a party for Eli and leaves him in a damaged emotional state. But it’s better than nothing. And he’ll recover. So I was glad Eli turned up. It also provided the opportunity for some truly hilarious face-palm-deserving quotes, like “our epic romance” and “Drew is my rock” and “He helped me get over chemo brain. He chased a rat for me!” The only other quote that even compared to anything in the Clare and Eli conversation was when Drew said that he was riding off into the sunset. Oh gosh. Clare, why do you always date guys with such corny catch-phrases? (End of side-note).

One thing that I still don’t get though, is why Drew looked offended when Clare told Eli that the break-up had nothing to do with Drew. To me, it was like Clare was saying that Drew was not a rebound. She was saying, “I broke up with you, Eli, because I don’t like you anymore and because there is nothing between us. Then I got together Drew, because I like Drew for Drew. I’m not confused and I’m not juggling my emotions for two different guys. Sorry, but I’m in a new relationship now that has nothing to do with you, so get lost.” Would Drew really want Clare to say, “I do still like you, Eli, but I like Drew too and he’s more convenient right now, so that’s why I left you the voicemail.”

It’s like Drew was just freaked out by how emotional Clare got around Eli, though, and was freaked out because he hadn’t realized the break-up was still somewhat unresolved. I’m not going to say Drew was wrong to worry about those things. Even if Clare might be ready to move on by initiating a new relationship (and I say “initiating,” because asking someone out and holding their hand at a dance is very different from having sex with them in a prop closet), it would be naive to think Clare has absolutely no more feelings for Eli. A small part of her will probably love him, or will at least love the memory of their past relationship, for years to come. But that’s doesn’t mean Clare can’t move on. Mostly, she was probably getting teary because she was so angry at Eli for coming back at the most inopportune moment and ruining her happiness yet again. All this means is that Drew should have slowed down and maybe ASKED Clare what the break-up was like, or given it another week of flirting before asking her out, rather than just acting like a horny cowboy.

Like I said before, I just thought the way both Clare and Drew reacted to the situation was out of character and unnecessarily immature, and if both people act like that, it will obviously screw over the relationship. In another world, I think they could have started a really cute thing, even at this very hoe-down and even considering what just happened between Clare and Eli. But, they WERE immature about it, so I’m okay with it not happening right now. It’s true what Dallas said, that we don’t want Drew to be Clare’s Zoe. I didn’t think Clare would see Drew like Drew saw Zoe, but I also didn’t think Clare would get naked with Drew before he even asked her out, and in the end I want what’s best for them. Just, hopefully this relationship will pick up again later. Because I feel like it was a lot of build-up to simply serve as a plot device justifying an unrelated break-up. For now, I’m going to… ahem… watch Drew ride off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment