Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Everything is Everything - Episode Review


Are we sure this wasn’t Army of Me Part 2? This episode was interesting because it basically “resolved” everything that happened last episode: Dallas getting angry about racism, Clare and Drew falling deeper in like, and Tristan being preyed upon by Grant. I say “resolved” in air quotes because in wrapping up the issues from last week it was really just creating an official start to a few relationships. Well, I hope Tristan realizes soon that the Grant thing is more of a pedophile situation than an actual relationship, but otherwise, yeah.

Umm… so Clare and Drew. Let’s start there. I’m fine with the idea of Clare and Drew. I already mentioned last week that I think Drew has matured a lot in the past few years. He’s way more responsible than he used to be and hasn’t cheated on anyone in the longest. So I don’t think Clare needs to be weary of him. Also, they seem pretty decent together if you ask me. Yeah, Clare is into writing and Drew is more… what… athletic? But they’re both into student council and it just seems like they get each other. You don’t need to have everything in common to be a good match. Clare and Eli might even be too similar. Maybe Drew will get Clare to be a little more care-free and Clare will get Drew into some cool literature.

But I also want to add that Clare and Drew might actually both be ready to date other people (other than Eli and Bianca). Clare just needs to officially break up with Eli, but you have to admit that they’ve been not-happening for a while now. I just wonder if Eli will make sort of another guest-appearance to be broken up with, or be back on the show for a while, or be broken up with over the phone, or how they’ll handle that, but I’m pretty sure he’s not coming back.

Everyone thinks Clare is a basket case who needs to relax and be by herself, but I think she’s acting pretty logically. She was cheated on a while ago, got upset about it, and tried to work on the relationship. Yet, even after forgiving Eli and trying to stay committed to him, things were fizzling. The real issue probably wasn’t the cheating to being with, but the long distance and growing apart. And now that Clare realizes she likes someone else (which, granted, took a little bit of confusion), she has a decision to make. What is crazy about this? Just because she grew apart from her boyfriend and developed a new love interest doesn’t mean she has to become a nun. Yeah, it might be good for her to take like six months off from dating, but this is Degrassi, so that’s not going to happen. The same can be said for Drew. His heart was broken but he genuinely likes someone new now, and I think we should be happy for both of them.

Though I do have to say, poor Eden. Did she enroll in Degrassi just because Drew, who happens to go to Degrassi, responded to her online dating profile? Haha. I’m like, where did this girl come from? I was expecting Drew to meet up with her at the mall or something, not see her in the hallway. Unless this was some Degrassi-school-dating-site? (If so I’m sure there are a lot of fans who would like the URL). So now that Drew and Eden aren’t happening, is Eden going to un-enroll? She’s really pretty and seems nice.

When you think about how pretty Eden is, actually, it makes you realize how much Drew must like Clare, to just turn Eden away like that. I’m not saying Clare is un-pretty, but her eyes are a little uneven and it seems like she’s gaining weight. I feel like I probably shouldn’t say that, because people are so critical of looks, especially of women, and Aislinn Paul is actually really gorgeous. It’s just that Clare, as a character, hasn’t been looking her best lately, especially after having to shave her head for chemo. The producers probably could have made Eden’s eyes look droopy and not Clare’s, but they didn’t. I think part of it is that Clare is supposed to be stressed.

Anyway, Drew and Eden also seemed to have a lot in common in terms of their interests and sense of humor, so again, for him to turn her down, you know he has some real feeling for Clare. Who knows, maybe they’ll find a spot for Eden as a regular character. Maybe after some drama with Clare, Drew will actually discover that he has more in common with Eden and will date her instead. I just want Drew and Clare to stop thinking about other girls/guys for second and give each other a chance first.

Well, I just spent all my life talking about Clare and her relationship drama (hey, it happens to the best of us), so I’ll try to wrap up quickly. About Tristan and Grant: I maintain that it is creepy. I almost hope that, if it’s going to turn really sour, like nasty sexual predator stuff, it happens right away. I want it to not happen at all, but I would rather it just happen quickly (like Emma and that old man from the internet in the first episode of Degrassi TNG) rather than have some long-drawn out relationship where Tristan’s heart is messed with, followed by a big pedophile reveal. Rip the band-aid off quickly.

Also, as a side note, Maya sort of drives me crazy sometimes. When she dislikes things, especially things that Tristan does and/or says, she is way too quick to smile and shrug it off. Let’s replay this conversation:

Maya: “Tris, students and teachers can’t be friends, that’s what I say.”
Tristan: “Well, I say two friends of the opposite sex can’t live in the same house without
mucho drama.”
Maya (smiling and sassy): “Zing!”
Tristan: “Trust me, Grant and I are on another level… blahblahblah I’m going to go work on my character bio and then meet up with Grant in the woods later so he can rape me… tata…”

At the end of this whole conversation, Maya just smiles. Ummm… how did this thing about warning your friend not to get abused by a teacher “friend” turn into a joke? And why does it seem like Tristan’s slam about your living conditions was the turning point where you stopped taking the conversation seriously? Maya and Tristan are way too non-confrontational with each other and it’s bad for both of them. If this were an Emma and Manny conversation, someone’s hair would have been pulled out after the comment about friends of the opposite sex.

And finally, YAY. Alli and Dallas! I like Dallas so much. He was over-reacting about the racism thing at the science fair and didn’t handle things well with the cop, but it’s good that he owned up to everything and made it right, while still voicing a complaint. He just needed to learn how to help himself rather than screwing himself over even more. I think he and Alli will make a really good couple. Also, I love how Alli’s dad was like, “Oh yes, the boy who was in the car while my daughter was high on uppers.” That was too funny. Hopefully he’ll be able to approve of Dallas and they won’t have to keep things a secret from her family. Even though it would make the most sense for Alli’s family to treat Dallas they way they treated Anya, I think the cross-cultural-dating plotline is getting a little old with that particular family. Also Alli’s family has to recognize that Dallas is a massive improvement over greasy-haired-STD-spreading-ravine-dwelling Johnny. Good job raising your standards over time, Alli.

No comments:

Post a Comment