Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sparks Will Fly Part 1 – Episode Review


Maya is being such a brat! I know she thinks Miles was wrong to accuse Zig of having drugs in his locker, but honestly, Miles should have told Maya what Zig said about how he'd bed her. Miles is NOT standing up for himself and is being a complete pushover. He should have dumped Maya long ago, rather than basically agreeing to let her cheat. She can make as many excuses as she wants (and by the way, I think she's buying her own excuses too), but at the end of the day this is not a story about how she's helping some guy in need - it's a story about how she's playing both of them, and somehow has Miles wrapped around her finger to let her get away with it even when he knows exactly what's going on.

And it's not like this is actually good for Zig either. I don't care how kicked out of your house you are. You might need a place to stay but you DON'T need someone to be your fake girlfriend. He'll only be more hurt when he finds out. On the "bright side" though, Zig deserves to be a little hurt, considering what a jerk he's being to Miles what with his little winks and all. Also, he might not even be that hurt when he finds out, if he ends up with Maya, which seems like it's happening. He might be a little angry then shrug it off thinking, "Well, I got the girl now."

I don't know. I wouldn't mind if things get a little more serious between Maya and Zig, Maya breaks up with Miles and hurts him a ton by making out with Zig, Zig finds out Maya was originally cheating, breaks up with her, and gets harder core into drugs and homelessness for a little while. Justice served: Miles for being a pus...hover, Maya for being a dirty two-timer, and Zig for being an egocentric jerk. Ok, so that would be terrible (and Miles is the most respectable of all of them so he hardly deserves to be in a state of desperation), but it might actually be preferable to what is happening right now, or to Maya dating Zig. At least Zig was man enough to ask her if she was still with Miles before giving her the bracelet. That might've been a show though. He didn't seem to care whether or not she was single before making a move when he was talking to Miles at the dance.

Eh. I thought Maya was better than all this. Come to think of it I'm not sure why I thought she was better, considering how she kissed Zig when he was with Tori and some of the other things she's done. I guess because she's so smart and skilled musically I always expect more of her. She means well and usually comes around in the end, but the reality is that she's very easily confused and acts really naively most of the time. I like watching her escapades though and I guess we need characters who are a little stupid on Degrassi, because otherwise a lot if the drama would be gone, and everyone's a little stupid sometimes in real life.

As for Clare, I for one think it’s good that she broke up with Eli over a voicemail. Yeah, it’s normally a really disrespectful and immature way to break up with someone, but he wasn’t returning her calls! She can’t wait around for weeks just for him to give her the time of day for a phone conversation. Now maybe if I was seeing the story more from Eli’s perspective I would think is really low, cheating and then breakup up via voicemail, and she’s definitely not innocent in the whole thing, but even so I’m with Clare on this one.

Drew is so funny. “Baby, you need someone who will be there for you” (to chase a rat under your parent’s fridge). I felt like I was watching Days of our Lives for a second. Drew is like the smooth-talking, wiser and older man who wins the girl away from her high school boyfriend. So I know that in reality Drew is in high school and Eli is in college, but Drew definitely looks older to me… Eli looks more like he’s still in middle school. Plus he dropped out that one year so technically he should be in college like Katie and Bianca. The way Drew was talking to Clare, he was just so suave beyond his years… it really was comical. Anyway, Drew and Clare ARE an odd couple. I would just as likely envision Drew and Imogen or Drew and Becky. Ha actually those combinations would be really fun! But this is cool too.

Oh and that thing about Zoe! I almost forgot completely about this. One of the plotlines always has less significance to me that the others, and this was definitely it. The whole thing just seemed so artificial, and I really am tired of Zoe thinking that everything will be handed to her in life. I’ve never auditioned for anything, so maybe I’m wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure it was unrealistic for Zoe to think that she would be able to call back and that they’d actually take her call. And then they let her audition again! In real life it would be more like, “Okay, you have some traumatic experience that might help you better relate to the character… too bad you didn’t tap into that in your first audition. Maybe your acting coach can help you tap into those emotions for your next attempt at a role. Bye.” No wait, actually, that’s what the person MIGHT be thinking if they even have time to consider your situation. More than likely they’d be like, “No.”

And then Zoe totally blew it by head-butting this guy. She was given the second chance she didn’t deserve and messed up. And still had the nerve to ask for a THIRD chance? Zoe! Take a deep breath, admit that you don’t deserve this part right now, and get some therapy and coaching. I do understand it’s terrible that Zoe was molested, but what has she been doing to stay current in her profession this year? She wasn’t doing anything, even before she was molested. Maybe you could count the play-writing collective (but that is writing not acting), or this one singular attempt at an audition, but other than that nothing.

And it never WAS explained to us why she was fired from West Drive (other than for having dyslexia?) It seems like she might have done something really stupid to get kicked off the show and then didn’t try very hard at all to get back in the game, so she shouldn’t be too surprised when she doesn’t get an immediate offer on her first audition nearly a year later, having spent the whole time in between doing absolutely no acting. I just sort of wrote her off this week. I’m more interested in the people who were actually trying to do something to fix the drama in their lives (even if they were doing the wrong thing… like Maya… or even if they were creating just as much drama as they were fixing… like everyone else). Haha I guess I was mad at everyone this week except Clare and Drew. Maybe Bhandallas will be back on soon so Mike Dallas can cheer me up with his cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment