Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Close to Me - Episode Review


Okay. I don’t know how I forgot Jack’s name. That’s a really easy name to remember. Anyway.

This episode made me really like Miles! At first he was just the spoiled by who was dating Zoe and making out with her everywhere, and I didn’t like him. Then he got together with Maya and it seemed like he thought he could get whatever he wanted, and I didn’t like him. Then they skinny dipped at his mansion and I was like – wait. Why did Maya just strip down in like zero seconds at the slightest suggestion? When else have they…? Other than this confusion, though, I still figured he was a spoiled brat, especially because his family was like “LOL Miles getting naked with an (underage) girl again outside in public… tsk tsk… now run along.”

Then the thing with his dad having an affair happened, and he threw the party out of anger but then regretted it. I was like… okay I’m starting to feel bad for you about this whole father having an affair and forcing a babysitter on you thing, but still the party was immature, and, whatever, you asked for forgiveness for it, so, meh. I’m starting to like you, but don’t get too comfortable, buddy. One overblown-dysfunctional-family-storyline isn’t going to cut it for me.

NOW, like I said, I’m shocked that I’m really starting to like him! I actually was looking forward to this episode because I thought it would be fun if Zig sort of broke the two of them up and created some drama (I know, I know, I’m a horrible person). But today, Miles was so sweet and selfless toward Maya. Do you know  how hard that must be to let your girlfriend essentially live with an ex, and try to be nice to the guy? To not make any assumptions and just be totally supportive of your girlfriend? And then to hear the ex say, on top of all of that, that he still wants to be with her? Well, I don’t know either, because I have never been in this situation, but I figure it must be hard.

I’m still interested to find out what’s going on with Zig that turned him into a hardened criminal, and I think some day down the line he could be a decent boyfriend to Maya or another one of the characters, but right now, at this moment, I feel bad for Miles. I feel like Maya should just be a good girlfriend to the one she’s already with, but hey. She’s young and confused.

In other news, Jenna was pretty entertaining tonight. It reminded me of when Paige pulled Manny’s prom dress off when Manny was Prom Queen. Ok, so the only similarity was that a Prom Queen Strip show (nothing about the reason for it matched up at all), but still, how often does Degrassi have a Prom Queen that loses some vital garment during the crowning ceremony? At this rate it’s about twice every ten years (or once every 9 years? I’m bad at math). The last time it happened was 2005. That might seem like a long time in between strip shows, but I’m pretty sure one has never happened in the multi-generational history of many a school. I like how Jenna ended up wearing her nerd shirt after all. I also thought Connor was amazing as always, although sometimes the awkwardness of his vocabulary pains me. Is it just me or is it a little over the top?

And finally, that’s good that Becky came clean about her non-feelings toward Imogen and strengthened some friendships along the way. I’m proud to say I was right to recognize that Becky’s behavior last week was a little off! Booyah. I’m glad this wasn’t really an inconsistency in her character. Though, I do wonder if it will ever come out that Imogen is actually bisexual, not straight up gay. Does everyone forget how she used to be an Eli fangirl?

Speaking of Eli, I still sort of wish Clare and Drew had randomly won Prom King and Queen. Haha. Let that be your thought for the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment