Thursday, June 12, 2014

Enjoy the Silence – Episode Review


My favorite part of this episode was Clare, the mad scientist. And I mean MAD scientist! I was really surprised at how angry she was. True, Drew hooked up with her and then refused to date her, but it was pretty understandable given the circumstances. I kept thinking, was there something I missed? Did Drew like, call Clare a skanky b—when he broke things off with her? So I re-watched Sparks Will Fly Part 2. Let’s review what actually happened:

1. Clare had sex with Drew and then had an emotional breakup with Eli right in front of Drew’s eyes, when all along she had been misleading Drew into thinking things with Eli were completely over and resolved. 2. Clare tried running immediately back to Drew like none of this had happened, and he told her, “Look me in the eye and tell me some part of you doesn’t still love him.” Clare couldn’t do it and instead said “It’s complicated.” 3. Drew made it clear that he couldn’t get together with Clare right at that moment because he didn’t want to be her rebound. He then walked off into the sunset.

Now, I’m not trying to say that Clare was purposefully being evil or manipulative. But she’s a perceptive girl, and should be able to figure out that Drew doesn’t have red horns growing out of his head either. And maybe the month-long break had to do with it, but I literally felt like this situation happened forever ago. Clare just seemed so MAD for no reason! When Clare said, “It’s all about how the mistakes we make and the lies we tell slowly eat away at us until we’re nothing but hollow shells,” I was thinking, is she talking about herself, or Drew? It was really hard to tell, because they both made mistakes, but if anything she was the one who was dishonest, not the other way around. I guess Clare is just psycho and emotional and too caught up in guy drama most of the time. That’s why it’s good that she’s having some time to be by herself and with her friends. I really liked this conversation between Clare and Ali: Clare – “I realized I don’t know how to be single. Who am I when I’m on my own?” Ali – “A lumberjack, apparently.” LOLZ, Ali, that’s exactly what I was thinking!

I just feel bad for Drew because I know he sincerely cares about Clare, but to her it just seems like he’s repeating his old tricks. It must be even more frustrating for Drew because even when he tries to be a good guy for once (or twice), his past follows him and he’s perceived as the jerk. I guess it just takes a while to fix your reputation once you’ve done things like what Drew did to Zoe, or to Katie for that matter, but people should also give people a chance. It’s like what happened with Zig in this episode – people made assumptions about him and the other rubber room kids. People say the rubber room kids are all slackers and can’t do anything right, but they don’t really look into what the rubber room kids are dealing with and where they are coming from.  It’s sad.

So, speaking of Zig. It’s good he’s getting out of the gang, and I hope the rehab program works without causing too much trouble. I was so scared when Tiny said, “Nice place man. It’d be a shame if anything happened to it.” That was so creepy! I really still am a little scared for Zig, Tiny, Maya, and Mrs. Matlin, but I guess nothing bad will happen to them, because if it did, what sort of message would that send to viewers? We want to encourage people to get help, after all, not scare them into being gang members for life.

I guess I have to admit, based upon this episode, that Maya MIGHT not be romantically in love with Zig. Obviously she does love him as a friend and a person, or else she wouldn’t do all this for him. And I am STILL suspicious that Maya is interested in Zig romantically, no matter what she or anyone else says. I just can’t forget how jealous she was when Tori was dating Zig! She was clearly interested in Zig romantically back then, and I don’t see how breaking up with her boyfriend, living with Zig, becoming better friends with Zig, and kissing Zig would cause those feelings to go away. If she like, explained that she just found Zig totally ugly or something, I would get it. I would be like, okay, you think he’s ugly, but he’s your friend, and your traumatic past is causing you to be overprotective. Instead I’m like, okay, you are protective of him, and think he’s hot, and enjoy living with him, and being his best friend, and you maintain it’s only platonic because…?

If she goes back to Miles right now, I swear. I will be so mad. It will be exactly the same as it was before! That’s sweet that Maya is helping Zig get out of the gang, but it doesn’t make the whole situation okay. The way that Zig was looking at Maya when he said they were friends was definitely a more-than-friends kinda way. And Zig clearly can’t help himself. Maya – “If you knew [I didn’t like you], why did you go along with it?” Zig – “Because I got to kiss you. But, obviously, you still dig the rich guy.” Umm, first of all Zig, you’re making yourself sound really sleazy. But we all know you love Maya, and will do anything to be with her/kiss her/ get her to like you back. So what would stop you from doing it again, if she were to get back together with Miles?

Also, even if Maya doesn’t like Zig (and that’s a big IF), she lacks the moral fortitude to fend off his advances. If Maya had any backbone she would have called Zig out on his “because I got to kiss you” comment. But she’s just so NICE that she lets people take advantage of her, and she tries to please people even when she knows it means doing something wrong. Maya is so loyal to everyone that she’s not loyal to anyone. I definitely don’t think she can get back together with Miles right now and expect everything to go smoothly.

Finally, the Miles plot. I love how, according to Chuey, Damon kissed Frankie. Zig’s old best friend Damon!? Love it. I seriously didn’t know Damon was still on the show and really enjoyed seeing him in this episode. Though, I don’t know why he and Zig don’t hang out more often. And well, I guess it’s settled. I REALLY wanted to refer to Frankiechu from now on, but I can’t really ignore the conversation between Miles and Chuey. Miles – “What would people even call you? Fruey? Chankey? It’s ridiculous.” Chuey – “Frinston.” Well, that settles it. Chuey is Winston and Frankiechu is Frinston. WINSTON had a very laid-back and sitcom-ish plot this week. I thought the conflict between him and Miles would be a bit more dramatic. But it was a nice relief from all the seriousness of Maya and Zig and everything. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Frinston in the future.

PS – That Panorama thing was cool. It completely proved my point that Degrassi is ballin’. Here are my thoughts on Panorama: * The masks were freaky. I feel like the students could have brought down a futuristic fascist government V-for-Vendetta style in those things. * There were some really old people at Grace’s silent dance party. Where they recruiting extras from the local 40-year-olds club? * Aww, Connor had a space exhibit 8D

No comments:

Post a Comment